When updating Windows 11/10/7, you may encounter error 0x800b0109 associated with the certificate when updating the system, that some update files are signed incorrectly. Additionally, the error appears on Windows 7 where the certificate chain is processed but is terminated at a root certificate that does not have a trust relationship with the issuer.
How to resolve update error 0x800b0109 in Windows 11/10/7
In this instruction, we will look at ways to fix error 0x800b0109 in Windows Update 11/10/7 related to the certificate chain.
1. Fix for Windows 7 and Windows 11/10
Also, if the error is related to cryptopro with the submission of any documents to government agencies, then there is a certificate on the forum that needs to be downloaded and installed for Windows 7, Windows 11 and 10. Below the link goes directly to downloading the certificate from the Ministry of Digital Development of Russia .
- When installing, select select trusted
❗I recommend downloading through the Edge or Yandex browser, since the http and chrome connection may not allow you to download immediately if you do not allow it manually.
2. Disable third-party antivirus
If a third-party antivirus like Kaspersky is installed , it can block network connections to Microsoft servers, which will cause an update certificate error in Windows.
- Disable third-party antivirus temporarily
- The best solution would be to completely removethe third-party antivirus for a while
3. Restore the integrity of Windows OS
Damaged system files may be the cause of error 0x800b0109 in Windows 11/10/7 with a problematic certificate. To automatically check system integrity, run Command Prompt as an administrator and enter the following commands in order:
- sfc /scannow
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
4. Run WU troubleshooter
WU (windows update) automatic troubleshooting can fix error 0x800b0109 in Windows Update. Run a special utility from Microsoft “ Fix errors in Windows Update ” or run it through Settings or Control Panel.
- Open Control Panel
- Type ” elimination” in the search at the top right
- Select ” Troubleshoot Windows Update“
5. Restart the Update service
A stuck Update service may also cause error code 0x800b0109 in Windows. To restart it, follow the steps below:
- Press Win+Rand enter msc
- At the very bottom, find Windows Update
- Right click on it and Restart
- If the restart option is grayed out, select Run, then Restart
- Do the same with the service ” Background Intelligent Transfer Service BITS“
6. Reset the update catalog
Corruption of the SoftwareDistribution and catroot2 update catalog may cause error 0x800b0109 in Windows Update. Let’s reset the default folders, re-register the necessary DLL files and reset the network. To do this, run Command Prompt as administrator and enter the commands below in order:
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop appidsvc
- net stop cryptsvc
- Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*”
- rmdir %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution /S /Q
- rmdir %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 /S /Q
- exe /s atl.dll
- exe /s urlmon.dll
- exe /s mshtml.dll
- netsh winsock reset
- netsh winsock reset proxy
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
7. Download the KB patch separately
Windows Update usually displays the update or patch installation number KB, which produces error 0x800b0109. The fact is that Microsoft has an official update catalog where you can download the KB patch separately and then install it for your Windows 11/10/7 x64 or x32.
- Go to Microsoft Update Catalog
- Write the KB patch number on the top right and download it
- Next double click on it to install
8. Check date and time
Incorrect date and time may be causing Windows 11/10/7 update certificate synchronization.
- Check the correct date and time in Windows