When starting Discord, Starting goes on endlessly and the program does not open or start, freezing in this eternal state of Windows 11/10.
The reason for endless Starting in Discord may be blocking by a third-party antivirus, the game is running and the overlay is preventing you from opening Discord, corrupted files of Discord itself, or there are problems with IP and DNS in Windows 11/10.
How to Fix Infinite Starting When Starting Discord
1. Force terminate the discord.exe process
Run Command Prompt as Administrator and enter the command below which will kill all Discord processes and then launch Discord back.
- taskkill /F /IM discord.exe
2. Run Discord as admin
Follow method 1 again to end the processes, then right- click on the Discord shortcut and select Run as administrator.
3. Disable your antivirus temporarily
If you are using a third-party antivirus like Avast or Kaspersky, then disable it for a while and launch Discord using methods 1 and 2.
4. Check date and time in Windows 11/10
Incorrect date and time on a Windows 11/10 PC may cause Discord to start endlessly when it starts because the synchronization with the servers is incorrect.
- How to change time and date in Windows 11and Windows 10
5. Clear AppData and LocalAppData
By deleting Discord cache files to fix the eternal Starting error on startup. To get started , complete all processes as in method 1 and proceed to the steps below.
- Press Win+Rand enter %appdata%
- Find the Discordfolder and delete it
- Next, press Win+Ragain and enter %localappdata%
- Also delete the Discord folder
- Run and check if the problem is resolved
6. Change DNS server
Automatic DNS servers from your ISP may be causing endless loading times when starting Discord. To change DNS to stable, do the following:
- Press Win+Rand enter cpl
- Right click on the network adapter that is connected to the Internet
- Select Properties
- Highlight IP version 4 (TCP/IPv4)
- Below, click on the Properties button
- Set Use the following DNS server addresses
- Specify 8.8.8and 188.8.131.52
📌Full guide on how to change DNS in Windows 11 and Windows 10 .
7. Restore system files
Damaged system files can cause Starting to take forever to load on Discord. To restore system integrity, run Command Prompt as an administrator and enter the following commands in order:
- sfc /scannow
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
8. Install Discord from the Microsoft Store
If you downloaded the program from the official website, then delete it and download it from the Microsoft Store, this will create a different installation of the UWP format, which will allow you to bypass the error of eternal loading when starting Discord.
9. Disable or enable VPN
If you are using a VPN, then disable it and try launching Discord. If it doesn’t help, then do the opposite, turn on the VPN and check if there is an endless Starting .
- VPN programs for Windows