Some Windows 10 and Windows 11 users are complaining about error 147-0 in Microsoft Office. The error is accompanied by an informative message:
Office couldn’t start. We were unable to open Office because we are updating, installing or uninstalling applications. Please try again later.
There are three options for solving the error – more on them below.
Solution to error 147-0 in Microsoft Office
The solutions below are best done in the given order.
Solution #1 Reboot the PC
Restarting your PC is a universal remedy for solving a variety of problems, including error 147-0.
- Turn on your computer and wait a few minutes for all services to load.
- Connect to the Internet if you have not already done so.
- Restart your PC and run the Office program again.
If you have an unlicensed version of MO, you can skip the second point, i.e. just restart your computer.
Solution #2 Restoring Office
Some MO files may have become corrupted. This situation occurs after a failed or interrupted software update process. Damage can be easily repaired in a few steps:
- Press WIN+I to open the “Options” window.
- Open the “Applications” → “Office” sections and click on the “•••” icon.
- Select the “Change” option from the list.
- In the new window, select “Quick recovery” or “Network recovery” and click on the “Restore” button.
- Wait for the recovery to complete and restart your PC.
Restoring will help solve error 147-0. However, if this does not happen, you need to completely reinstall the MO package.
Solution #3 Complete reinstallation of Microsoft Office
On the Microsoft website you can download a utility that will automatically remove any version of MO from Windows.
- Download exeon your PC.
- Right-click on the EXE file and select “Run as administrator.”
- Follow the onscreen instructions to remove MO.
- Restart your PC and reinstall office programs on your computer.
If error 147-0 in Microsoft Office has not been resolved, contact Microsoft Support and explain your situation in detail. They may be able to offer more specific solutions.