When installing updates in Windows Update 11/10, you may encounter error 0x800b010a that the certificate chain for the trusted root authority could not be built.
Error 0x800B010A typically occurs when Windows is unable to verify the cryptographic signature of an update file because the file itself is corrupted or deems it malicious.
How to fix certificate error 0x800b010a in Windows 11/10
In this instruction, we will look at ways to fix error 0x800b010a update failed to obtain a certificate in Windows 11/10.
1. Run WU troubleshooter
Run the Update troubleshooter to automatically try to fix error 0x800b010a.
- Go to troubleshooting options
- Run Windows Update
2. Restart the update service
To fix certificate error 0x800b010a in Windows Update, you need to restart the Windows Update service.
- Press Win+Rand enter msc
- Find Windows Updateat the bottom
- Right-click on a service
- Select Restart
❗If the service has a “disabled” status, start it by selecting ” Run ” from the context menu.
3. Check the integrity of system files
Damaged system files and registry can cause problems with Windows 11/10 update and cause error code 0x800b010a with failure to build the certificate chain for the Trusted Root Authority. To repair damaged system files, run Command Prompt as an administrator and enter the commands below in order:
- sfc /scannow
4. Reset network settings
Incorrect network settings may be the cause of update error 0x800b010a in Windows 11/10. Let’s reset them to default.
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /registerdns
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- netsh winsock reset
- netsh winsock reset proxy
5. Check the date and time in the system
If the date and time are incorrect, there will be problems with certificates, which may generate error 0x800b010a in Windows 11/10 when updating and installing patches.
- Open Settings> Time & Language > Date & Time
- On the right, turn on Set time automatically
❗If the time in automatic mode is not shown correctly, then disable automatic time setting and set it manually below.
6. Reset WU component cache
The feature update cache in Windows 11/10 may be corrupted or conflict with the current update versions, which will cause error 0x800b010a when the certificate chain for the trusted root authority could not be built.
- net stop bit
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop appidsvc
- net stop cryptsvc
- ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.mwp
- ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.mwp
- Del “%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader\*.*”
- exe /s atl.dll
- exe /s urlmon.dll
- exe /s mshtml.dll
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
7. Install the update patch manually
Download the KB patch separately from the official Microsoft catalog, then install it by double clicking.
- Go to the update catalog website
- Enter the number of the KB patch that is not updated at the top right
- Download for your Windows and install
8. Update using clean boot mode
Boot into clean boot mode and try updating your Windows 11/10 system via Update. In this mode, only Microsoft processes and services will work, which will eliminate the possibility of blocking access to other third-party services.
9. Update via Media Creation Tool
Update Windows 11/10 through the special Media Creation Tool, preserving personal files and installed programs, to fix error 0x800b010a by bypassing the update.