In Windows 11 from version 23H2, it became possible to create and connect VHD and VHDX virtual hard disks of a fixed or dynamic size without third-party programs. You can also create a Dev Drive for your development workloads using Resilient File System (ReFS) technology.
Creating a VHD and VHDX virtual disk in Windows 11
1 . To create a virtual VHD, VHDX or Dev Drive in Windows 11, follow these steps:
- Open Settings> System > Storage
- Click on Advanced storage options
- Next, click on Disks and Volumes
- Click on Create VHD
If you need to create a Dev Drive , then click Create Development Drive below .
2 . Next, the VHD or VHDX disk format setting and the type of fixed or dynamic disk size will appear. You can also set the size and location. I recommend the following settings:
- Choose VHDXformat as it supports up to 64 TB
- Select format type Dynamic, since the disk size will automatically expand as it fills
- Select after clicking Create, in the next window GPT (GUID Partition Table)
- Select NTFS, FAT32 or REFS file system