When launching games like Forza, CS GO, DOTA, Ready or Not, Phasmophobia, Risk of Rain 2, Minecraft Dungeons on a PC with Windows 11/10, you may receive an error Failed to load DLL from the file loading list with code 126, 127, 255 , 1114 and 998.
The culprit for the “ Failed to load dll from the list ” error in Windows 11/10 when launching games may be the blocking of the .dll library itself by the antivirus, its absence or damage.
How to fix Failed to load DLL from the list error in Windows 11/10
Let’s look at what to do to fix the error ” Failed to load DLL from the list. Error code: 126, 127, 255, 1114 and 998 ” when launching games and applications in Windows 11/10.
1. Run the game as administrator
Right-click on the game or program shortcut and select Run as administrator .
2. Update Windows 11/10
Update your Windows 10 or Windows 11 system to the latest version, as updates install the necessary system DLL files for games and programs to function properly.
- Go to Windows Update
- Click Check for updates
- Or installthem if they are already on standby
3. Check your antivirus quarantine
The antivirus could add the “.dll” file to quarantine, which will cause the error Failed to load from the list error code 126, 127, 255, 1114 and 998 . What to do?
- Restore OnlineFix64.dll from antivirus quarantine, if it is there
- Add it to your antivirus exception so it doesn’t get blocked again
❗I also recommend adding the folder with the game or program to the exceptions. After all the steps, you may need to reinstall the program or game.
4. Repair and Update Microsoft NET Framework
Failed to load DLL from the list error codes 126, 127, 255, 1114 and 998 can also occur due to problems with the NET Framework that needs to be updated or fixed.
- Go to the Microsoft support site
- Download the .NET FrameworkRepair Tool
- If it does not help to fix the error, then below
- Go to Microsoft website
- Select the latest current version of the .NET Framework
- Next click Download .NET Framework Runtime
5. Update DirectX components
Outdated or damaged DirectX component dlls can also cause Error code 126, 127, 255, 1114, 998 Failed to load DLL from the list in Windows 11/10 when launching games and applications.
- Go to the Microsoft website
- Download DirectX for the end user
📌 Complete Guide to DirectX
6. Repair damaged files and registry
Damaged system files and registry keys can cause the initialization of DLL libraries, which will cause the error Failed to load from the list indicating some .dll file and error code 126, 127, 255, 1114, 998 in Windows 11/10 at startup games and programs. Run Command Prompt as Administrator and enter the following commands in order:
- sfc /scannow
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth