When you launch Discord on a PC with Windows 11/10, the messenger may begin updating and freeze at the stage of downloading updates DOWNLOADING UPDATE 1 of 1, 1 of 5, 1 of 6, etc.
The culprit behind the stuck update download stage in Discord may be a damaged messenger file cache, antivirus blocking network connections, insufficient launch rights, unstable DNS servers or IP addresses.
How to fix DOWNLOADING UPDATE 1 of 1 in Discord
This instruction describes methods to fix the stuck download of the “DOWNLOADING UPDATE 1 of 1” update at any specific stage in Windows 11/10.
1. Restart the router
First of all, to fix the DOWNLOADING UPDATE error in Discord, turn off your PC and router (modem). Next, remove the router’s power supply from the outlet, wait at least 3 minutes and turn everything back on.
2. Run Discord as admin
If there are account permission restrictions, then this may be the reason why Discord freezes when updating.
- Close Discord from the taskbar or end the task in Task Manager
- Next, right-click on the messenger shortcut
- Select Run as administrator
3. Disable your antivirus
If a third-party antivirus is installed, then disable it for a while, or better yet, uninstall it completely , and run Discord again to update, since the anti-virus firewall may block connections to the messenger servers. This also applies to the built-in Windows Defender antivirus .
4. Change DNS servers to stable ones
If Windows 11/10 is set to automatically obtain DNS servers, then they will be assigned by the local provider, and as a rule they are unstable and may conflict with Discord servers. Let’s change the DNS servers to Google, which are faster and more stable.
- Press Win+Rand enter cpl
- Right click on the network adapter that has Internet
- Select in the contextual Properties
- Highlight IP version 4 (TCP/IPv4) with one click
- Click on the Properties button below
- Set Use the following DNS server addresses
- Install 8.8.8and 22.214.171.124
- Check the confirmation box and OK
5. Delete Temporary Discord Files in AppData
To fix the error loading the “DOWNLOADING UPDATE” update into Discoder, you need to delete temporary messenger files. First, close Discord before following the steps below.
- Press Win+Rand enter %appdata%
- Delete the Discord folder
- Next Press Win+Ragain and enter %LocalAppData%
- Also delete the Discord folder
- Download the messenger from. link below, which you can copy and paste into your browser
- Install it to create the folders again
6. Enable or disable VPN
If you are using a VPN, then disable it and try to launch Discord again. Also, if you are not using a VPN, then use one and run Discord as an administrator as in method 2.
7. Reinstall Discord
If you downloaded the Win32 version of the Discord messenger from the official website, then delete it and download the UWP version for Windows 11/10 from the Microsoft Store.
- Remove installed Discord
- Download the UWP version of Discord from Mcirosoft Store